11 AM Meeting at Álaind Lodges, Moularostig, Sneem, V93AC80, from here we’ll drive to the walk starting point for Coomanassig Waterfall.
Sneem Waterfall Trip Highlights include:
- Walking through wild countryside to the 130m high Coomanassig waterfall.
- Taking a break by the dark waters of Eagle Lake.
- Marveling at the towering 260 metre corrie cliff faces.
- Exploring this geological wonderland and the lower heights of the Dunkerron Mountains.
- Traversing the open moorland long ago smoothed by the deposits of ice age glaciers.
- Possible encounters with sheep, hares, mountain goats, huge ravens and perhaps the white-tailed sea eagles.
- Spectacular views to Sneem, Kenmare Bay and the Caha Mountains on the Beara Peninsula.
What We’ll Do on Our Walk to Coomanassig
We’ll meet at Álaind Lodges at 11 am before continuing by car to the start of the trail. Today’s walk brings us up close to the spectacular Dunkerron Mountains. We’ll be ascending the stone path towards Knocknagantee mountain before branching off to find the beautiful Coomanassig waterfall and Eagles Lake. Along the way we’ll pick our way around the rocky outcrops which were left behind by ice age glaciers.
We’ll walk right up to the waterfall and cliff walls by skirting around the edge of the dark water lake. Coomanassig waterfall is 130 metres tall and the cliffs themselves are 250 metres tall. We’ll spend about 30 mins here (weather depending), a good opportunity to enjoy any snacks/refreshment you bring.
From here you will also enjoy great views of the entire GeoPark area, the village of Sneem, Kenmare Bay and the Caha Mountains on the Beara Peninsula. We’ll also keep our eyes peeled for wildlife and flora of interest. You never know, we might even catch a glimpse of the white-tailed sea eagles.